Acly-Stover Funeral Home

Father & Daughter

Avery Carr

Avery W. Acly

Avery W. Acly was born and raised in Greene, NY, to Berthold and Ida Cooper Acly. He is a 1962 graduate of Greene Central High School and following graduation, enlisted in the United States Army serving in the 25th Infantry in Vietnam and Korea. He graduated from Simmons Institute of Mortuary Science and began working for John Stover Jr., at Stover Funeral Home. He later purchased the funeral home and added the Acly name working along side his daughter, Angela.

He was a Corning City Alderman for over 20 years, Deputy Mayor, Chairman of the Community Development and Urban Renewal Agency, represented the City of Corning, twice, in the city of Liviv, Ukraine, to sign a sister cities agreement between the two cities as well as visited Moscow. He is a member of the Corning Radisson Coffee Club, Corning Rotary Club, life member of the VFW Post #524, John P. Eaton American Legion Post 746, Elks Lodge #1071, Corning Masonic Lodge #168, All Saints Parish, The Lionel Collectors Club of America, Train Collectors Association and  volunteers for Corning Meals on Wheels.

He resides in Corning with his wife, Irma. They have four children, Maria, Angela, Wayne and Sharon, 10 grandchildren and 1 great grandchild. They enjoy traveling the United States in their motor home and attending Train Conventions yearly.

Angela Acly-Carr

Angela Acly Carr

Angela “Angie” Acly Carr is the daughter of Avery and Irma Acly.  Born in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania she is a Navajo Indian registered with the Chinle, Arizona Reservation. She attended the Corning-Painted Post School Districts graduating from East High School, Herkimer Community College and Simmons Institute of Mortuary Science.  She worked for the Syracuse Tissue Bank and Rochester/Finger Lakes Eye & Tissue Bank performing eye enucleations for donor transplants. She ownes and operates "Jazzercize" a fitness franchise teaching for over 20 years.

She is a member and past Secretary and  President of the Corning Kiwanis Club, Secretary and  Treasurer for Steuben County Funeral Directors Association, Finger Lakes Funeral Directors Association - Chairman of Continuing Education Credits, a member of All Saints Parish, Christian Daughters, Coopers Plains Long Acres Fire Department Commissioner, Corning Elks Lodge #1071, Funeral Divas, Inc., John P. Eaton American Legion Post 746 and  volunteers for Corning's Meals on Wheels.

Since the age of 5 years old, it has been Angela’s passion to follow in her father’s footsteps as a funeral director.  Together, they own and operate their family business.  She is the third established lady embalmer in Corning and a distinguished woman that contributes to the creation of a funeral ceremony.  She resides in Coopers Plains with her husband, Danny Carr and children, Dakota, Gabriella and Brice.

History

Acly-Stover Funeral Home has been a family owned business for 95 years in the Southern Tier.

Prior to becoming a family business, the residence of 325-327 East Second Street was owned and occupied by William T. Smith and his family. On November 4, 1918, Samuel John Stover Sr. purchased the residence from the Smith family. He then opened the house as a funeral home business known as Stover Funeral Home.  It is the second oldest funeral establishment in the Corning area. He also established an operated an ambulance service with a transportation charge of $2.00.

In 1935, S. John Stover, Jr. received his undertaker's license and joined his father in the family business.  Only July 26, 1946, S. John Sr. and Jr. became partners in the funeral business. Together, father and son operated both businesses until the ambulance service was sold in 1953 and the death of S. John Sr. in 1963. S. John Jr. and his wife Doris, continued serving the community in the funeral business until March of 1985 when he sold his business to his long time associate, Avery W. Acly. In 1986 extensive renovations were made to the funeral home, which doubled it's size and gave families a more home-like atmosphere.

In October of 1990, Angela joined her father, Avery, and together operated Stover Funeral Home. In 1994, a parking lot was added and the house next door was attached to the existing funeral home for additional room, making it the largest funeral home on the Southside. The "Acly" name was later added to the Funeral Home carrying on three generations of a locally owned and family operated business.